Virginia Village became a part of Denver through 16 annexations between 1951 and 1972. Most of the area was annexed between 1954 and 1955.
The first platting of the neighborhood occurred in 1951. Platting peaked during the mid-1950s, and has been incidental since then. Very little development existed prior to 1950. About half of the existing units were built during the 1950s. During the 1960s and 1970s, residential development occurred at a less intense, yet still substantial rate.
The neighborhood has witnessed rapid and substantial change. Since annexations began in 1951, a total of 140 rezoning applications have been processed by the Planning Office.
By 1973 well over half of the neighborhood was devoted to single-family residential use, characterized by low buildings along curvilinear streets. An active and vital private market has kept Virginia Village “sound” in comparison to other Denver neighborhoods, despite numerous rezonings to other and higher density uses.