Relocation Tips and Moving Advice
Moving to the Denver area? Welcome! You’re going to love it! Before you settle in to your new home, here are some relocation tips from your friends at Lucero Real Estate, Denver’s most knowledgeable real estate experts.
If you’re planning a do-it-yourself move, it helps to start by simplifying and organizing. Plan to spread out your moving process over several weeks to avoid the stress of a last-minute move, when things can get overlooked. A few tips:
- Streamline and simplify. Moving is a great excuse to de-clutter. A good rule of thumb is that if you haven’t seen something in a couple years, you can probably get rid of it and never miss it. Consider a garage sale to get rid of some old stuff and make a little money to put toward the move. You can also donate leftover items to charitable organizations that run thrift stores, sell items on Craigslist or eBay, or even post notifications online for free pickup of items.
- Organize and label. Organize your move into segments. Many people find it useful to pack rooms together to keep their belongings in a familiar organization. Be sure to clearly label your boxes so you can easily find the items later.
- Plan for arrival. It may take you weeks to fully unpack after your move, so put the items you’ll need immediately in an accessible place and label them so they’re easy to find. Some people pack a “survival kit” with all the essentials they’ll need immediately upon arrival at their new home. That can save a lot of headache. After all, nothing is more annoying than searching through 50 boxes just to find your toothbrush!
- Keep fragile items and valuables with you. Whether you’re renting a truck or paying movers, you may still want to keep your most fragile and valuable items with you in your vehicle. That way you can ensure they get the special handling they require.
- Book your rental truck early. Don’t wait until the last minute, especially if you’re moving at the end of the month, when truck rentals are in highest demand.
- Book big enough. Make sure to secure a vehicle that’s big enough for all your stuff. Especially if you’re moving cross-country, you don’t want to make multiple trips!
- Consider packing materials and extras. Does the truck rental company provide moving pads, packing boxes and dollies? If not, make sure you arrange for those items so you can safely transport your items.
- Insure what you can’t afford to lose. Look into whether or not you’re personal items will be covered by insurance during the move, or if you’ll need to secure additional insurance. A quick call to your insurance agent should sort that out.
Using a moving company
Moving companies vary widely in the services they offer and the quality of those services. Many of today’s full-service moving companies will pack your belongings, unpack at your new house, and even clean and setup your new home! It all depends on your budget and how much you want to do yourself. Here are a few considerations when looking at moving companies:
- Will they do the packing for you? If so, do they provide insurance in case something is broken during packing?
- Do they charge a flat rate or an hourly fee? What does that rate include? Does it change on weekends or during other high-demand times?
- Are you protected against liability during the move?
- Do they guarantee an arrival day/time, or are you given a window that could span several days?
- Do you have some way of tracking the truck to keep tabs on your belongings in transit?
- What sort of measures do they put in place to keep your items safe from damage?
Additional tips for working with a moving company:
Do your research. Websites like Moving.com can help you identify local companies with the good reputations. We also have some suggested movers in our recommended services directory. Also check with the Better Business Bureau to view complaints and see the company’s overall rating.
Book far in advance. You should secure your moving company four to eight weeks before your moving day.
Rely on personal recommendations. Talk to friends and family about moving companies they have used. You can also use our services directory for some trustworthy moving companies that we recommend.
Get multiple quotes. Prices can vary dramatically, so get several estimates for the same level of service. That way you can compare apples to apples.
Ask for customer references. Get a sense of the company’s work history with customer references.
Verify insurance coverage and claims protection. Ask to see proof of insurance coverage to make sure your items will be covered in case of damage or loss.
Keep an eye out for additional fees. Read your contract carefully and watch for add-ons and extra fees. Many companies bury these in the fine print and you don’t see them until they show up on your final bill.
Call Lucero Real Estate. We’ve helped hundreds of clients move from other states to the Denver area. When you’re ready to make your move, give us a call and we’ll help you facilitate your move with recommendations, references and all the local info you’ll need. Contact us today to get your move off to the right start!