The Cole neighborhood became part of the City under the Territorial Session Laws of 1874. The neighborhood is bounded by 32nd and 40th Avenues and York and Downing Streets. More than half of the residential blocks were developed prior to 1900. By 1930, it was fully developed. The pattern of development generally occurred from southwest to northeast. Much of the area remains typical of middle-class sections of the city developed at the turn of the century. Cole Junior High School, the neighborhood’s focal point, and the neighborhood were named for Carlos M. Cole, who as Superintendent of Denver’s Public Schools, was instrumental in establishing junior high schools in Denver.
Source: The City and County of Denver. Copyright 1998 - The Piton Foundation